Monday, October 8, 2007

Fall has Fallen

Summer lasted a little longer this year! We've had the hottest, driest fall I can remember, but it all came crashing to a halt this weekend. As I started my school workout with the two athletes from Glebe that were brave enough to show up the heavens opened and we got soaked. There is something about running / training in the rain that I've always liked, but let me tell you, standing around and coaching in it, ain't that fun at all.

Speaking of the heavens opening, this weekend was General Conference. The priesthood session was excellent, followed by the Denny's ritual, in which 20-30 priesthood holders decend on Denny's in South Keys following the session for what (started as milkshakes) has become a six or seven course meal. There was alot less food consumed this time, largely due to the fact that Eric and Derek were absent. Derek can be excused as he moved to Calgary, but Eric...where were you? We watched the Sunday morning session at home after spending a good part of the morning on a family walk. The colours this year are amazing. Apparently the warm days and cool nights are good for the trees in terms of fall colours. The sections of McCarthy Forest we walked through were simply capreted with leaves of various shades of yellow, red and orange.

Deal of the week! Food is good, but free food is great! Last week in Toronto Sarah had a pasta for dinner that we had never tried before and it was really good. While standing in line at DiRienzo's, waiting for what is possibly the best sandwhich in Ottawa, I spotted the pasta we had enjoyed in a very large (it was huge) bag. I picked it up intending to buy it as well. Unfortunately they only took cash and the bag of pasta was $30, which was all the cash I had on me. The girl behind the counter, nodded, held out her hand; I gave her the cash and paid for the pasta and she essentailly gave the two sandwhiches to me - free! Great business. Think I'll go back? For sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely pic of Sarah and the kids! Long time no talk!! Glad I came across your blog!!